#TastyTuesday – Grilled Steak Tacos with Spicy Slaw
Published on November 6, 2018
It’s a #TastyTacoTuesday! Everyone loves tacos and we’ve found a recipe from FineCooking.com that takes all your favorite taco ingredients and puts them on the grill. As always, if you try some of our recipes be sure to post them to our Facebook page and let us know how it worked for you!
Grilled Steak Tacos with Spicy Slaw
- 1 1/2 tsp. pure ancho chile powder
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 lb. flank steak
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1 to 2 medium jalapenos, stemmed
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice, more as needed
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Lime wedges for serving
- Prepare a medium (375° F) gas or charcoal grill fire.
- In a small bowl, mix the ancho powder with 1 tsp. of sugar, 2tsp. salt, and 3/4 tsp. pepper. Pat the steak dry, sprinkle the ancho mixture on both sides and let sit at room temperature while the grill heats.
- Set the onion rounds and jalapenos on a large plate and sprinkle with 1 tbsp. of oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss cabbage with lime juice, the remaining 1 tsp. sugar, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Add the remaining 1 tbsp. oil and toss again.
- Put the steak, onions, and jalapenos on the grill. Grill the steak, flipping once until cooked to your liking. Grill the vegetables, flipping once until grill marks appear and they are just tender: 4-6 minutes for the jalapenos and about 8 minutes for the onion. Transfer the steak and vegetables to a cutting board and let the steak cool for 5 minutes.
- Chop the onions and finely chop the jalapenos. Add to the cabbage mixture and toss well. Season for taste with salt, pepper, and lime juice.
- Spread 4 tortillas on the grill and heat, flipping once, until warm and softened (about 1 minute.) Stack the warmed tortillas in a paper towel; repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Thinly slice the steak and put a few slices on each of the warm tortillas. Top with slaw and a dollop of sour cream. Serve with lime wedges.